Free email with automatic encryption, virus scanning and spam filtering - sign up for Hushmail today!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Firefox 3 Review

I just downloaded Mozilla's new Firefox 3, and I gotta say... it's friggin awesome! I still have IE7 for my Windows Updates, but I think I'm gonna set Firefox as my primary web browser. There are a couple things I don't like about it, but there are more positives than negatives for Firefox 3, in my opinion.

The positives: There are a TON of add-ons and plugins! You can pretty much trick your browser out with all the latest gadgets and skins and really make it look nice. Also, there are a TON of short keys to make browsing convenient. Like if you want to go to the previous page, simply hit the backspace button -- no ctrl+b or whatever. If you want to Google something up, just type it in the address bar and it searches for you. For me, when I hit "y" on the address bar, it goes straight to my e-mail with Yahoo. Bookmarking is also convenient. If you want to bookmark something, just click the star on the right of the address bar and it's done. If you click the star again, you can edit the settings for your bookmarked page, like adding a keyword for it or saving it to a folder. There are plenty of options available for Firefox 3.

A couple downsides though: It takes alot of memory. And obviously, the more add-ons you add, the more space it takes. So you may want to just get the ones you need. I did a test with Firefox 3 and IE7 to compare how much memory the web browsers use. I went to two pages for both and I used Windows Task Master to compare the two, and Firefox took up almost 80,000 k while IE7 took up only 12,000 k memory. So if you have a slow computer, you may lag a little bit with Firefox.

I pretty much tricked out my Firefox browser the first 5 minutes I downloaded it xD. I got a new skin (which I might uninstall), an add-on called Tab Mix Plus (very useful), and this feature that allows me to zoom in on my tabbed webpages. I'm about to add a couple more add-ons to it soon. One thing I noticed about Firefox is that it's actually kinda fun to mess around with.

So if you don't have Firefox 3 yet, you really need to check it out. This is my first time using it, and I gotta say I'm hooked! There's a Youtube video by jimmyrcom that gives a better tutorial about Firefox 3, here's the link.

I still have IE7, but it's not really working for me, atleast not as good as Firefox is. Some features here in Blogger actually don't work with IE7 (for me anyways), and it's only now that I notice the difference. Some of the differences I've noticed while blogging is that here I have to highlight the text to make a link, while in IE7 I couldn't do that. I also didn't notice I had a spell checker here. It didn't work for IE7. Also a couple times with IE7 I couldn't right click if I'm online for a certain period of time. I have to either close the browser or restart the computer. Hope it's not a virus, but I don't have the same problem with Firefox.

So, to me, Firefox whoops IE7 any day!

0 comments:

Get secure managed email for your own domain with Hushmail Business!

Blogger template 'OrangeDoor' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008