Free email with automatic encryption, virus scanning and spam filtering - sign up for Hushmail today!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Life's Twists and Turns...

Not sure why, but I live my life in a spontaneous manner. I'll be driving by some restaurant and just decide to go eat there, or I'll hear about something on the net, like Adbrite for instance, and just join it. Sometimes I'll just wake up and decide to check out the flea market with my friends in a different county miles away, just to see something different, I guess. Being spontaneous can be good, but there are also moments when I do bad things, like catch a charge and get into trouble. I wrote a post all about it on the Endless Possibilities blog. That one's more of a personal blog than this one.

My life now: I'm currently on state probation and I'm getting kicked out of my apartment. Those are the big things going on right now. I was working at Kmart for only two months when I just walked out. Low paying job, like 20 hrs at the most, no real benefits... I had to quit.

I go into the probation office and they said if I don't find another job soon, they'll violate me (probation officers are too kind -.-). So I'm putting in applications everywhere like it's a video game, where the objective is to put in as many applications to different places before the time runs out, and hopefully I pass and advance to the next level. Trouble is no one calls me. I know it's because of my record, but still. If they gave me a shot, I know I can exceed their expectations and leave a good first impression. But I didn't get that shot - and soon I begin to count the days until I go to jail... for not keeping a job (is that even legal?).

Well, I was with one of my cousins drinking a couple beers, trying to cool my jets about the situation, when I hear a knock on the door. It's my other cousin, and he tells me that my uncle needs another person to help maintain the restaurant his wife owns. He didn't want to do it, so he refered me. Err... more like he stuffed me into a car and drove me there. And I was drunk xD.

The place is called Gus Corona's Cafe. I've worked here before, but after my experience here as a dishwasher, I vowed I would never work in the restaurant business ever again. I broke my vow this day.

Me and my cousins stagger our way in the cafe, and we talk to my uncle, the "bossman", for a couple minutes. At first, he was iffy about me working here, because I quit last time. But I do some talking (don't know if I was slurring or not xD), and he tells me to throw on an apron and start on the dishes. Back to the same position I was in before. Ain't that a b****? Oh yeah, and my cousin was a huge help too. He helps refresh my memory about what he did when he worked here, and he brings me to the front to ask the customers if they needed a refill or whatever. And he asks me to do the same. And I was drunk. I could barely walk straight as it was, but I did the damn thing. Don't think they noticed anything out of the ordinary at all!

Well, at closing time, I go head the talk to my uncle about what's been up with me since I left. I tell him about probation, and I tell him about my previous job at Kmart. He says, "You did a good job today, worked fast, the dishes are clean... can you start on Monday?", I was like, "Sure can. And thanks for giving me this opportunity! Can I have a Singha?". I got the job. And just in time, too.

So what's in my future? For now, I'm back to work at the restaurant me and my cousins hate, doing the job I hate the most. I still have about two weeks to pack my stuff and ship out of this dump. I'm working on the Muscle Armor blog, so hopefully that will help me balance out the crappy pay I may be earning at the cafe. This and that. But it's a good thing. I'm not in danger of violating probation, and I have this job until I get a better one. I just have to work on my networking skills.

Even though my situation is preventing me from really living life to the fullest, I still keep a positive outlook on life in general. I never know what I'll run into next! Maybe I'll talk my way into working in Destin with the rich folks, or maybe I'll get huge earnings from Muscle Armor, so I won't have to work anymore (hopefully), or I just might haul ass to Thailand and check out the scenery (once I'm done with probation, of course!).

So if you're in a tight situation, always know that even though things are not looking your way at the moment, they won't be like that forever. There is a God up there, and he may not throw a million dollars at your doorstep, but He will save you from real dangers - if you ask Him.

3 comments:

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM

Good points! Sometimes when things look their worst something turns out right. Good luck!

The Vegas Art Guy

One piece of advice. Never quit a job (even a crappy one) until you have a new one lined up, complete with official offer and everything. And never ever burn a bridge in the corporate world.

Talk to your uncle about your living situation. Business people usually know other business people if you know what I mean.

Thaiger

Thanks guys!

That's a very good point, Vegas! I won't quit this job, since doing so may violate my probation.

I talked to my uncle, and found he has a website for his restaurant. Problem is it's ugly! So I'm going to help him out with that tonight and see if he likes what I'm about to offer...

Get secure managed email for your own domain with Hushmail Business!

Blogger template 'OrangeDoor' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008